Thursday, March 31, 2011

Unique device serial number

A unique device serial number for security and other purposes.
On power-up I would read the area of non-volatile memory that was intended to hold the serial number and other information.
If the information passed a validity check I would write the serial number into another special area of non-volatile memory.
If the validity check failed I would instead write a fictitious serial number.

Note: Our serial numbers were to be based on the production shift,production line, and the data and time of production.
I worked with the manufacturing group to create a serial number based on a non-existent production shift and line to guarantee my fictitious serial number would never be mistaken as genuine.

Mike Ficco - Cut & Paste Engineering

No comments: